Thursday 7 October 2010

Pear


A pear is green. It can be tart, or it can be sweet.
Sometimes spotted, it grows on a tree.
A pear is a healthy fruit I like to eat.

... A little rhyme that came to mind when I first thought about 'pear' ...
A pear is an autumn fruit. I have recently come to quite like the autumn. My favourite season used to be the summer. Now I think it is autumn. The reasons I used to like summer aren’t really there anymore. Maybe it’s because in my life it feels like summer is over and autumn has begun. The carefree, easy breezy days are over and it is time to start preparing for later. At the same time, fruits that have flowered and grown are now ready to be harvested (or at least should be). It’s like the preparation for life is over, and now it’s time to live.
The more I think about autumn, the more I relish it. Pumpkin soup, colourful leaves and Halloween all bring a smile to my face. I can just smell a rainy forest, fresh air, pine trees and wet soil ... delicious.
I can’t think about autumn without remembering mushroom picking in the Ardennes as a kid. Hiking for hours and being wonderfully terrified of running into wild boars (only actually saw some once). I also remember berry and fruit picking and making applesauce over a campfire.  I’d love to go back some day.
I also love fall fashion. I can really go to town on jackets and accessories, maybe a scarf here or there. This season I’m loving dark colours, jewel tones and everything nature inspired. If I had the budget for new pieces I’d buy a shearling trimmed aviator jacket in moss green, killer boots, 70s jeans, silk blouses and a couple of tailored “Joan Holloway” dresses. A girl can dream ...

Tomorrow's word: Lunchtime

No comments:

Post a Comment