Tuesday 5 October 2010

Music and defining moments

As I mentioned before, I love music. And music has been a very important part of my life. In this post I’ll share the songs that have meant the most to me, and the songs that stand out from certain stages in my life. I'm sure these aren't all, or the only songs that have influenced me. But they are the ones that come to mind when I look back. Warning: it's rather long.
The Teeny Bopper stage
I first discovered music when I was probably about 10 years old. A bit late, but growing up TV and radio were a big no-no. I was a sucker for a catchy tune, and good looking boys. J
The Spice Girls - Wannabe
They were my first role models and I’ll always remember making up dances on the school playground to their songs. I was Baby Spice.


Aqua – Barbie Girl
The first CD I bought for myself, with my own pocket money.


Backstreet Boys - Everybody
Nick was my boy.


5ive - When the lights go out
I swooned over Scott and later Jay.


Westlife - If I let you go
I just loved the sound of their voices, even though I didn’t find any of them particularly attractive.




Whitney Houston – It’s not right but it’s okay
This was at the end of the pop stage. This song meant a lot to me and really affected how I would go about having relationships. Even though I first heard it long before having grown up relationships, it stuck with me. I think it helped me be a stronger person and get over people hurting me.



The Rebel stage
By the age of 13 I was too cool for all that teeny bopper stuff. I became what you would nowadays probably call Emo, that term didn’t exist back then so we called ourselves punk-rock-goth. Boy were we cool! I say ‘we’ because there were three of us in our little core group. We bonded over music, our stupid parents and the other lame kids in our class.
Kittie – Suck
This is how I felt about a lot of people. I’m not a very angry person, but this is how I would deal. I’d turn up the volume to maximum, on my headphones, so I wouldn’t bother anyone.


Limp Bizket – Break Stuff
Cool, angry music. Nuff said!


3 Doors Down – Kryptonite
The first concert I ever went to was a 3 Doors Down concert. I loved all of their songs.


Korn – Freak on a leash
I actually nicknamed one of my boyfriends after this song ...


Letters to Cleo – Cruel to be kind
Not very punk rock, but still different enough to be considered cool. Nowadays this song mostly reminds me of Ten Things I Hate About You (RIP Heath Ledger), not the “coolest” movie, but a classic.


Eminem - The real Slim Shady
Controversial and epic.




Nelly Furtado – I’m like a bird
Not the most rebellious song, I agree. But it came towards the end of the rebellion phase. I think it was when I realised that I didn’t want to be a rebel; I just wanted to be me. And that ‘me’ was someone who wanted to fly away.


The Party Girl stage
And fly away I did, right into the party scene, and not in the best way. Let’s just leave it at that. The music that appealed to me at this stage was mainly R&B and Trance, anything that could be heard on a dance floor.
Jennifer Lopez ft Ja Rule – Ain’t it funny
This song was the first "commercial R&B" song I liked after the rebel stage. I also loved the clothes and make up. I think this is when my style went from "cool" and "edgy" to "pretty".




Britney Spears – Boys
I loved this song! I could get a bit nasty on the dancefloor ... Cringe!


D-Note – Shed my skin
mmm deh, mmm deh ... I can clearly remember tripping in a club to this song. A memory with very mixed feelings.


Tiesto – In my memory
The ultimate Trance song!


Missy Elliot – 4 My People
I don't think this really needs an explaination. But at the time I thought it was so cool, it was pretty much my anthem. Again, cringe!


The Stripped stage
There came a time in my life when I realised that it was time to stop being crazy and start growing up. I went soul searching and ‘stripped’ myself down to the core. It was when I started finding out who I really was. This was around the time Christina Aguilera brought out her ‘Stripped’ album. It was the perfect soundtrack to what I was going through. I still liked to party (although maybe not as hardy), but I was figuring out that there was more to life, and more to me.

Stacie Orrico - More to Life
This was the start of this stage. All I had been doing up till then was chasing temporary highs. 


Christina Aguilera – Fighter
It wasn’t easy to change, but I discovered that there was a fighter in me.


Aerosmith – Jaded
This song helped me understand one of the emotions I was going through. I didn’t even know it had a name so imagine my relief when I discovered a song about it. I wasn’t the only one going through this crap, and that’s a damn good feeling, especially as a teenager.


The Killers – Mr Brightside
I loved the drama and emotion in this song. Even now, when things get tough, I can just escape into a Killers song.


The Golden Oldies stage
I think I got into this stage because I had had enough of “modern” life and quite liked the idea of simpler, “old fashioned” values. And the music was just so darn beautiful. Another Christina Aguilera album coincided perfectly with this stage in my life, Back to Basics. I'm a big Christina Aguierla fan, I just wish her latest album was better (and she'd stop doing her make up like a tranny).
Glenn Miller – Moonlight Serenade
I actually discovered this song during a history class around that time. It’s the song that started my love affair with music from the 40s, 50s and 60s.


The Andrews Sisters - Rum and Coca Cola
Such a fun song. When I hear this I am in Trinidad in the 40s.


Mama Cass – Dream a little dream of me
Summer evenings and crushes ... sigh.


Christina Aguilera – Candyman
Okay, not an authentic oldie, but the vibe was there, and the video was amazing!




Edith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien
Yes, I made mistakes, but I don't waste time regretting them. It's much better to focus on starting over. This song sums that up amazingly. They can play this song at my funeral.




Frank Sinatra - My way
Another one they can play at my funeral. It's my current anthem. (Somewhat better than a song about E, don't you think?)


The Gemini stage
Also known as the time when I let guys treat me like crap because I didn’t realise I deserved better. There were a couple of guys, but one stood out especially, he was a Gemini.
Amy Winehouse – Will you still love me tomorrow
I often wondered this about some of the guys I slept with.


Brick & Lace - Your love is wicked
I finally realised how crappy the whole "relationship" was, but that didn't make it any easier to get out of it


A Fine Frenzy – Almost lover
The Gemini was such an almost lover, this song (and a very charming Brit) helped me move on.


In search of something new
After going through Pop, Rock, R&B, Dance and Oldies, I was looking for something new. Some of these are quite mainstream but still a little bit different. This is where I found a sense of humour and fun in music. It could also be called the weird and wonderful stage.
Empire of the Sun – Walking on a dream


Fall Out Boy – Thnks fr th mmrs
This group brought me right back to my Rebel stage, and I’m a sucker for nostalgia.


Panic! At The Disco – Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off
Loved this group for the same reasons as Fall Out Boy. I was realising I wasn’t a teenager anymore and still trying to hold on to those times.


Gym Class Heroes – The Boomerang Theory
Catchy songs, with lyrics about washed up party girls, mistakes and messed up relationships. I could relate!


Iglu and Hartly – In this city
I had this song on repeat when I was in London for an internship. One of the best times of my life!


The current stage

At the moment I’m again looking for something new. I discovered (and am still discovering) what some would call Alternative or Indie music. I really don’t like calling it that because for some reason it seems a bit pretentious. I can’t list songs that have been influential at this moment in time because it’s too early to know.

Writing this has been so much fun, and it has been very therapeutic. Looking back really puts things into perspective. It’s like history. How can we know where we’re going if we don’t understand where we’ve been?

This one has been so much fun to do, maybe one day I'll do one about movies ...

Anyone want to share which songs have influenced them? I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment