Friday 8 October 2010

Lunchtime


Gosh this is a hard one ...

What was lunchtime like today? I fed the manchild a wrap with ham and cheese. Then I sent him up for quiet time and had a rather unhealthy lunch (mac and cheese) while I watched Desperate Housewives (would that be ironic?).

Thinking about lunch, I have to think about my absolute favourite lunch as a student ... a Martino. It's made out of Filet American (raw ground beef with egg), onions, pickles and the special "martino" sauce (ketchup, mustard and something spicy). I’d have it on a brown demi-baguette. So good, but impossible to find here in the UK. I think bakers would have a heart attack if I would try to ask for it.

Another favourite lunch memory is Itsu Fridays. During a four month internship in London I would treat myself on Fridays to sushi or a noodle soup from Itsu, a Japanese restaurant around the corner from where I worked. It was a nice break from the typical sandwiches.

I also love going out to lunch with friends, combined with a day out in town. Secretly, I’d love to be a “lunching lady”. I also love the concept of liquid lunches. I remember my first; it was during my internship in London. Our boss took us out to celebrate one of the girls’ contracts. Afterwards, as we traipsed back to our offices, she said “Right, now let’s all pretend to do some work!”.

I’ll be doing work experience next week so I’ll probably be bringing sandwiches in to work. If I had the motivation and the budget I’d make salads. But as I am unemployed and poor I can’t shop for ingredients. Not forgetting the fact that I am also rather lazy.

I wonder if people around the world generally have sandwiches for lunch. I’d think that it’s the easiest/cheapest option if you take lunch in to work. I know that traditionally in Belgium, people would have a warm meal during lunch and sandwiches for dinner, apparently it’s healthier. Although nowadays people generally have a cold lunch and warm dinner.

All in all, lunchtime is quite a great time, depending on the lunch of course.


Tomorrow’s word: gibberish

No comments:

Post a Comment